Jacob Surjan - New Coach

Anything to do with the current Roosters team

robranisgod

Jacob Surjan - New Coach

Post by robranisgod » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Jacob Surjan has been appointed as coach.

I trust that the club recruits well to allow Jacob to have a competitive team.

RobRooster

Re: Jacob Surjan - New Coach

Post by RobRooster » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:46 am

Official announcement from NAFC President :

“On behalf of the NAFC Board, I am very pleased to announce the appointment of Jacob Surjan to the position of Senior Coach.
The recruitment assessment process, whilst relatively short due to the timing, was thorough with some strong candidates to be considered. However, over the past two years we have been able to witness Jacob’s impressive growth and development as a coach through his role as Head of Football Development, and as a key assistant to Josh Carr in building our game style, structures and culture on and off the field.
On behalf of the NAFC Board, I am very pleased to announce the appointment of Jacob Surjan to the position of Senior Coach.
The recruitment assessment process, whilst relatively short due to the timing, was thorough with some strong candidates to be considered. However, over the past two years we have been able to witness Jacob’s impressive growth and development as a coach through his role as Head of Football Development, and as a key assistant to Josh Carr in building our game style, structures and culture on and off the field. He was considered the benchmark through the process and we’re really pleased to be able to secure Jacob for the next 3 years as the Senior Coach of our Club.
H
After being drafted from South Fremantle in 2003, Jacob’s resume includes 9 years as a strong defender at the Port Adelaide Football Club (121 AFL games), 2 years as Talent Manager / Academy Coach followed by 3 years as a Development Coach (PAFC) before joining the Roosters in 2018. His role in our historic Premiership double in 2018 (League and Reserves) was enormous, and he comes into the main job with the absolute enthusiasm and respect of our whole playing group.

We congratulate Jacob on his appointment, and we all look forward to supporting his journey towards our next Premiership.

Lee Virgin
NAFC President “

Firstly I would like to congratulate Jacob on his appointment and wish him well !
But if the other coach candidates were rated “Strongly” what was the benchmark Jacob possesses they couldn’t reach ??
Assumptions are the “Strong” candidates that applied were untried coaches or below League standard.
We talk about transparency but will not be told who the other “Strong” candidates were ! Hopefully we didn’t turf a coach that was League qualified or in a aspiring environment to go to the highest level !!
We are the Great Great Club again !!
We're the good old RED and WHITES !!
NORTH forever !

Fudster

Post by Fudster » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Congratulations to Jacob on his appointment. I reckon it's a good choice, he's been around the club for a while and there's continuity from Josh Carr's relatively short stint in the job. I think it's a positive move by the club, he played a big role in the 2018 success.
I'm not really worried about the other guys who didn't get the job, and there's no real reason for the club to reveal those names.
Also great to welcome Cam Hewett and Kym LeBois back to the club, along with Andrew Moore. These are players with a history at Prospect who are still in prime playing years and can really give the club a boost.
So after a disastrous year, and despite losing our coach and some experienced players, things are starting to look up for 2020. We just need to get our first ruckman sorted out, whether it's a fit James Craig or a new recruit. We need our forwards to play up forward, with only short stints in the ruck.

half cocked

Post by half cocked » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:35 pm

Well done NAFC on making the logical decision regarding the coach. Despite Rob Rooster's doubts about the process, this is the best choice they could have made. There is no doubt in my mind that Surjan was a major factor in securing not one but two premierships in 2018. He deserves the chance to coach in his own right. Hopefully he will get what he wants in terms of recruiting with a decent ruckman a must priority. Go cocks!
Waiting in hope to rise again from the depths of despair.